Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Nectarine 5x5 Oil on wood panel


The most important aspect of a painting is form. When I was faced with doing abstract painting in art school years ago I would begin to sweat. I just didn't have a feel for it. But one day a professor lectured on Equalized Surfaces, and my abstract light turned on. I did well after that and spent the rest of the semester - and yet another - painting equalized surface abstracts with good results. I have a shelf for my "unfinished business" where I put the paintings that have begun to bore me. I find that a little later I can go back and finish them almost always. Thinking this lush red nectarine could use a good dose of equalized surfacing - which in this case simply meant filling in the background with the same color and texture as the nectarine. On a small 5x5 panel it was simple. The nectarine painting began to sing. I like it. E- mail me at artistjohnwlong@live.com

No comments: