Saturday, October 25, 2008

Egg Pyramid(white-on-white) 5x5 oil on wood panel


Egg Pyramid shows a big change in my work since becoming a Daily Painter. I have a 5x5 panel and two to four hours to create something that someone might think worth while. I first felt the change when I painted a shell I had brought back from Florida. I just dug right in and without a lot of fore-play, painted the picture. That is still one of my favorites, I enjoyed every un-preconceived brush stroke I made. It was the Impressionsts who threw out the old rules- no more roast-beef gravy colors, no more hard edges, and no more frittering. The result was a much more human and passionate art. I think I am becoming an Impressionist. Sort of. E-mail me at artistjohnwlong@live.com

2 comments:

Sylvia Jenstad said...

had to stop... love your eggs...very cool...

John Long said...

your beautiful Fall Leaves remind me of Batik -did you ever do any Batik? I used to make art with it and got rejected from the Philbrook Annual in Tulsa who let me know it was nothing but a craft. Ha.